Subject: [Leica] Consensus (? on LUG) on IR filters on M8
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Thu Dec 13 06:45:22 2007

Vick Ko asked:

>>>So, is there consensus on using IR filters on the M8, on lenses without

coding?

I've searched the archives a bit, and get the perception:

*using the filter does degrade the image    slightly

*it does work, but the magenta flaw happens only under pretty severe

conditions anyway

*for the majority of photo conditions, the filter isn't necessary

I've been tempted with an M8, from a very reliable source and very tempting

conditions.<<<<<<<<

Hi Vick,

The answer is so simple regardless of the odd occasion of IR influence. If
you can get it for a very good price go for it! Period. That's all that
matters!

In nearly a year of use I've only had a couple of situations where the IR
effect appeared to be a problem.... Just turned the shot into B&W.....
problem solved.

More occasions where it slightly "enhanced the shot" a tad and made me look
better as a shooter. :-)

In the case of price over filters? Go for the price!!!!!!!! Good price buy!

Don't worry about marked or un-marked lenses as none of mine are, Leica or
otherwise, and it doesn't appear it makes any difference.

Oh on a test bench it probably shows something, but in real life if you
don't know about marked lenses it does diddly squat!

Besides how often do you lie on a test bench and take pictures? ;-)

It's one of those things like R lenses and working properly when using a
zoom type flash.... It was and is "bull-shit!"

It only bothers the techies, the real shooters just get on with shooting the
assignment.:-)

ted

marked just hot off the cabiet shelfand I have far more fine photographs in
colour than he filters

Replies: Reply from eduardoalbesi at ciudad.com.ar (Eduardo Albesi) ([Leica] Consensus (? on LUG) on IR filters on M8)
Reply from robertmeier at usjet.net (Robert Meier) ([Leica] Consensus (? on LUG) on IR filters on M8)