Subject: [Leica] Consensus (? on LUG) on IR filters on M8
From: eduardoalbesi at ciudad.com.ar (Eduardo Albesi)
Date: Thu Dec 13 06:39:03 2007

Vick,

There are noticeable color differences between using and not using
the IR cut filters. The degree of how much noticeable this effect is
depends on the particular lighting conditions of each scene.  There
are light sources that are more IR rich than others, as tungsten and
halogen lamps. The sun is another high power IR emitter, but the high
emissions in the rest of the visible spectrum tend to mask the IR
artifacts of the M8.
Fluorescent light lacks typically IR emission in the M8 critical
band, so there's no problem under them.

The following samples are under halogen light, with and without
filter, I think it cannot get worse than this:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Fuchs/tech_001/IRNightmare1.jpg.html

But it is effectively solved by the use of filters:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Fuchs/tech_001/IRNightmare2.jpg.html

Filter used is a B&W 486 UV/IR Cut filter. The lens is an Elmarit-M
28/2.8 asph.
Both files shot in DNG, converted to JPG in Adobe Camera Raw (PS CS3).

There is another IR contamination effect that affects the M8: a soft
focus 'glow' under certain circumstances. This latter effect is
caused by the superposition of a focused visible-spectrum image and
an out of focus IR image (remember that the IR plane of focus is
slightly offset from the visible plane of focus, hence the different
focusing IR mark on older lenses). This has been extensively exposed
on other fora, especially the LUF.

So, just color correcting the files does not solve the IR issue. But
with high quality IR filters (B&W, Heliopan or Leica) you don't have
any side effects, and the increased color and focus precision you get
are worth their use. BTW, I have never noticed any image quality
degradation using either brand.

So, just mount them on every one of your lenses, forget about them
and enjoy the camera, one of the very best out there.

Ed

El 13/12/2007, a las 08:32, Vick Ko escribi?: