Subject: [Leica] RAW archiving
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Sun Dec 9 19:17:32 2007
References: <200712080613.lB86CbFq008996@server1.waverley.reid.org><BAY141-DS1D7181B7B7BAAF791D1ECD4690@phx.gbl><a2f8f4470712080912p43d31477s42f2fdad7a518ab4@mail.gmail.com><3cad89990712081924j1dbe1d3am2c2302ad327ff8cd@mail.gmail.com><437F4B8DBF7D0A7552EF11C4@rutabook.reid.org><3cad89990712090043w7837523ao5b6f8fdddf5e52f5@mail.gmail.com><4cfa589b0712091238h7a7e207o5ebe4ae3872d085e@mail.gmail.com> <3cad89990712091848h3639d976m9981c4c33247bf8c@mail.gmail.com>

Hi Jayanand, I know this has come up before here and is not unique to this
forum either. There is a considerable group of opinion
that objects to proprietary RAW standards. In my opinion Adobe's documented
DNG standard is a large improvement over NEFs for
example that only allow access to all of your file's information if you use
Nikon's software. That is more restrictive, I think.
Nikon and Canon certainly have competition in hardware, but it is their
software which is being compared to Adobe's. There is only
one current program that will extract all of your information from your
files if they are NEFs and you must pay Nikon (and only
Nikon) extra for it. That is a monopoly. The millions of Photoshop users out
there do not need to pay again, if they wish to work
with DNGs from any type of digital camera that supports that standard.
Everyone of course will make their own assessment of which approach they
favour. Or choose to use both according to their needs.

Cheers
Geoff