Subject: [Leica] Some more 'cutting the edge'
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Sun Dec 9 19:09:54 2007
References: <mnet4.1197194146.25689.phamard@numericable.fr> <3cad89990712090519g5c5e2357gd44a02c8f7c5b0c8@mail.gmail.com> <377542A9-BDF9-4657-B7F1-6F28863F019D@cox.net> <1690492276-1197215905-cardhu_decombobulator_blackberry.rim.net-1375058189-@bxe137.bisx.prod.on.blackberry> <3cad89990712090802v18eea123kda82b57fd1612aea@mail.gmail.com> <319439479-1197217846-cardhu_decombobulator_blackberry.rim.net-1568289057-@bxe137.bisx.prod.on.blackberry>

I was talking only about critics/reviewers on a limited range of topics, and
on those points I stick to my guns.

I think you mean accumulated years of Western thought and knowledge, don't
you? Other parts of the Earth and other cultures be damned, because, in the
subconscious of the West, they are ignorant and backward? Nobody will admit
it openly, but does that mean it is not there?

Let us now take a subject like History with accumulated knowledge over
thousands of years - what we have is only the versions written by the
winners, the victors in the play for power, whether militarily or
politically or culturally, if you will. Is that the right version, or the
wrong version? How will you ever know? Haven't you been brought up with the
feeling that the American Indians, the Russian, the German or the Japanese
are the bad guys? Is this cultural rewriting of History correct? In India,
at least, there is furious battle going on between mainly leftist historians
on one hand, and the Hindu religious right on the other, to rewrite school
text books on History in their own image. What will this skewed approach to
History do to future generations of Indians and their "knowledge"? Has Japan
not being doing this after the Second World War in their school system?

I dont even want to mention other subjects like religion, where accumulated
knowledge changes as required for political control.

Examples like this abound wherever there are accumulated knowledge. After
all, I am not saying you disregard the knowledge, I am only saying that you
gain knowledge on all the points of view of a subject, and choose for
yourself what to believe.

Cheers
Jayanand