Subject: [Leica] Internet Service Interruption
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue Dec 4 20:54:46 2007

> On 12/4/07, Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com> wrote:
>>

>> But I hear they bought Marshall Fields in Chicago and now its called
>> Macys.
>> I would have left the name stand. That's how its done more than half that
>> time anyway.
>> Let them think they have some self respect left.
>> Like the way the Romans did it.
>

> Yeah, Konica and Minolta merge, and they keep the venerable names.  Then
> Sony buys the camera part and gives it a name that I associate with  my TV
> and my walkman.
>
> They could have, should have kept the names.  Minolta.  Konica.
>
>  I was at a trade convention once in New Orleans, and Argus had a booth.
> They had a  display case with about thirty mint Argus cameras dating back
> before Ted.  I was all excited to see the display, (I have an Argus
> collection) but the sales guy really wasn't caught up in the old guys in
> the
> case.  He was trying to hawk the (Chinese?) P&S that were branded Argus.

But this is in the vein of the Grand Old Department stores. Not camera
brands.
Many stand. But have been bought out long ago and those buyers bought out.
But they let the original name stand.

Meier and Frank in Portland who I shot fashion for from 9 to 5 was bought
out by The May Company from St. Louis.
But they let the name stand.

Portland is just too small of a town. I knew relatives of both the Meier and
the Frank family.

" In 2005 May Department Stores was acquired by Federated Department Stores
for $11 billion in stock[1]. They now operate under the brand name Macy's."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_Department_Stores

They also own Bloomingdale's
Not THAT is a great department store.

I'll sell an ASPH and buy some socks.