Subject: [Leica] Internet Service Interruption
From: reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid)
Date: Mon Dec 3 19:36:37 2007

Problems like this one are not inside your ISP per se, but are rather in the
interconnection between your ISP and others.

The original message was from Jim Nichols. Presumably his service has been
restored. Just now I ran a trace between the LUG computer and his home
computer. That trace showed 25 different links, which I can summarize as:

Palo Alto California -- my house
San Francisco, at 200 Paul Avenue, which is where my T1 circuit goes
San Jose, CA -- Level 3 Communications, Inc
Atlanta -- Level 3 Communications
Atlanta -- Bell South
(someplace that I can't identify, with location code "AXR")
Nashville -- Bell South
Jacksonville, Florida -- Bell South

at that point I sort of host the trail, because Bell South wouldn't let me
probe further into its network.

This means that for you (Jim Nichols) to communicate with the LUG, your ISP
has to be working, their connection to Level 3 has to be working, Level 3
has to be routing datg from Atlanta to San Jose, and my ISP has to be
properly communicating with Level 3 in San Francisco.

Even as I type this, the connection between my ISP and Level 3 has stopped
working, which isolates me from those portions of the Internet to which
Level 3 is the preferred path from 200 Paul in San Francisco.

It's fragile.

Brian Reid

Replies: Reply from jhnichols at bellsouth.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] Internet Service Interruption)
Reply from marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small) ([Leica] Internet Service Interruption)