Subject: [Leica] 2/50 JSK Xenon
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Sun Dec 2 21:05:27 2007

At 10:14 PM 12/1/2007, Jerry Lehrer wrote:
 >Marc,
 >
 >I've had and used a few 50mm Xenons over the years.  The best of them
 >being in a Retina IIIc which I got for swapping a Topaz
 >Filtered power supply.  Using Plus X and Panatomic X. I would get
 >critically sharp 8x10s. at wide open or f2.8.. The worst Xenon
 >I used was in a Leica SM on my IIIa.  It did not suffer from flare, it
 >was just unsharp.  When I put a Summarit on it (supposedly
 >a coated Xenon). it was excellent wide open on Isopan F.

Jerry

The 1.5/5cm Xenon, the 1.5/5cm Summarit, and the
first version of the 1.4/50 Summilux were
identical optically.  The Xenon was uncoated and
the later lenses were coated.  The design was a
co?peration between JSK, TTH, and Leitz, and all
three shared ownership of the patent.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!