Subject: [Leica] Leica Repair.....
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Douglas Herr)
Date: Fri Nov 30 05:30:49 2007

Vick Ko <vick.ko@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> I find it very satisfying to do my own work, and I develop a
> deeper bond to the item.  Makes it hard to sell, if the camera was
> obtained
> as a "catch and release" project.

Likewise.  I've also repaired a couple of aperture mechanisms on lenses, in
both cases where the aperture ring became disconnected from the blades.

One of these was my 280 f/4 APO: it had been re-assembled incorrectly in
Solms after its repair for a damaged flange and chipped front element and
after going without it for four months I was not about to send it back to
Leica.  Removed four screws, re-aligned the appropriate parts, re-assembled.

The other lens I repaired was my brother's 300mm f/4 AF-Nikkor with a
similar problem.  the local repair shop (an authorized warrantee service
center) wanted US$310 for the repair because "they have to take the entire
back of the lens apart and remove all the electronics".  What a CROCK of
nonsense!  "All the electronics" consists of a contact strip and an inch of
flex circuit leading to a chip glued inside.  I removed a few screws,
straightened a bent part, re-assembled.  15 minutes' work.  BTW the 280 f/4
APO is FAR more robust internally.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com