Subject: [Leica] war paint portraits
From: kcassidy at asc.upenn.edu (Kyle Cassidy)
Date: Thu Nov 29 14:50:15 2007

>As well you should be. A lovely formal portrait.
>I must say, however, that the photographs, in this series, which put
>the subject into an environment, preferably their own, carry
>significantly more power for me.
>The image of the elder gentleman at his kitchen table - sticks with
>me - in a way that this one will not.

>Just as I loved Irving Penn's bikers; yet, found deeper truths from
>the work of Danny Lyon's and Bruce Davidson's treatment of the subject.

>The true environmental portraits punctuate the subject's words with
>an exclamation mark! The studio portraits tend to imply a period.

>obviously a subjective 2 pesos

some excellent advice. i think my real lesson from your comments is that
it's easy for the photographer to get caught up in their own technique and
miss the forest for the trees -- "sweet barking cheese, i lit that well!" or
"dang! my sumicron is SHARP LIKE A FREAKING RAZOR!" rings like a bell in our
minds and very often that technical success clouds our understanding of the
image as a whole, it's success, and it's capabilities.

thanks for pointing that out,

kc