Subject: [Leica] IMG talking shop...
From: kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour)
Date: Sun Nov 25 16:46:04 2007

On Nov 24, 2007, at 7:10 PM, G Hopkinson wrote:

> Steve, I don't think it is a lens difference at all (and that is
> self-evidently a wonderfully sharp and accurate Summicron anyway).
> By the way I am shopping for one of those for my M3. Sort of a
> classical outfit, if you will. Hoppy the gear-head didn't even think
> about the fifty used, and I started that discussion. I was just
> commenting on your photograph content. I think it is just that that
> lighting on a mature face has given a completely different rendition
> compared to your Iona photos. No surprise.

yes I agree Hoppy, the lens has little to do with the different
appearance of the faces...

we often attribute too much  to the lens...ie. as if the quality of
the wire to the loud speakers determines whether Mozart or Beethoven
comes out of them....

:-)

the lenses used in the two sets of photos...  old 50 S cron vs old 50
S lux...are very similar in look,

it's all in the light and the face , of course,

as you say no big surprise...

> For these, I might
> try to render your friend's face a little lighter perhaps.

my friend is a Hispanic woman of a certain age  who cleans and
polishes all those beautiful Rolleis etc..actually she has dark skin
and the photo reflects that...

> I prefer the more direct look but there's nowhere to hide from sharp
> glass of course (both for subjects and shoppers)! What does your
> friend think of the portrayal?

she hasn't seen these yet, but I gave her a print of earlier photos
and she likes the look...as someone said...of the old man and the sea...

Steve