Subject: [Leica] Bird of Paradise: now colour
From: afirkin at afirkin.com (afirkin@afirkin.com)
Date: Tue Nov 20 00:28:07 2007

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I have had the fortunate opportunity to study with some fine photographers,
though not AA Himself (God rest his soul, as we Irish say):

Ted Orland (AA's first assistant)
John Sexton (AA's last assistant)
Cole Weston (I got to hold the EW "Sand Nude" neg in my hands, like being
touched by the finger of God)
Martha Casanave
Kevin Bubriski
Tom Millea

However, I will tell you that the best inspiration has come from the
internet.  I had little interest in color until I saw the images of
Constantine Marcos (sp???), and the color printing tutorial from Luminous
Landscape was a great help.  As of a week ago, my office now has all color
prints - I still don't know what I think of it.

Ken
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ken,
fortunate indeed. One comment I would like to make, and that is that with
Lightroom, I am feeling that colour finally has the advantages that were the
domain of b/w. In the darkroom you could make some magic, altering contrast,
bleaching etc, but fiddling with colour in the darkroom almost always ended
in grief BUT with lightroom (and any programme for that matter) the colour
image can be given true colour balance in weird light, improved contrast etc
etc and can even be made into a b/w or infrared shot.

I still love my darkroom, but I'm not stupid enough to think it is really
any better

Cheers

alastair