Subject: [spam] Re: [Leica] Totally OT: Prius experiences?
From: telyt at earthlink.net (telyt@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Nov 16 14:25:58 2007

Henning Wulff wrote:

> There are a whole lot of factors in energy efficiency/ecological
> footprint concerns.
>
> Cars do take a lot of energy to produce, and the Prius
> unfortunately needs more; batteries are a large part of the
> problem. Also, regarding the ecological footprint, there is the
> concern that batteries intrinsically need aggressive chemicals to
> work and that is a manufacturing/re-manufacturing and accident and
> disposal issue.
>
> The total life-cycle ecological footprint is generally lower for
> turbo diesels of the latest types, and these are probably most
> reasonable for European users. Now that finally low sulphur fuels
> are also available in N. America we'll see more diesels here as
> well, as they are even better suited to the N. American style of
> driving.

I agree with all of this.  The latest clean-burning turbo diesels are quite
impressive from many points of view.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

mail2web.com - Microsoft? Exchange solutions from a leading provider -

Replies: Reply from hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson) ([spam] Re: [Leica] Totally OT: Prius experiences?)
Reply from phamard at numericable.fr (Philippe Amard) ([spam] Re: [Leica] Totally OT: Prius experiences? - Diesel)