Subject: [Leica] Canon G9 or Leica M8?
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat Nov 10 08:22:53 2007

To the many who offered advice a great big thank you for your time and
thoughts.

This morning we are going to the camera shop for hands on G9 experience. He
knows how an M8 feels and basically works, so we won't require any
experience there. Besides he's used mine a few times for family happy snaps.

At the moment he hasn't shown a heavy duty commitment to "photography will
be my life" as amateur or pro, although he does understand the K.I.S.S.
principle as seen in some of his family photos.

He's always shown me his "attempts" since he was a little guy for show &
tell IE. Critique. Best part? he listens well, then if he can re-shoot to
make it work as we discussed, he does.

But popping $5 thousand or more for what one advisor offered... "a 6 week
tour" then put it on the shelf is a big chunk of dollars. I might also offer
when it comes to money even at his age he's as smart as a whip about
investing and it producing interest while he sleeps at night! He sure
doesn't waste it!  Trust me he wont be ga ga eyes popping simply because
it's an M8 or a Leica of any kind. He's grown up and played with them.

Off hand my gut feeling is the G9 for many of the things he'll shoot,
"holiday happy snaps."  I'm sure the G9 will be his choice. The Leica will
probably come later as he learns the G9 wont produce the coverage a Leica
DSLR or M8 can.

We shall see and let you know later in the day.

Once again thank you all for your time. An added note from Kyle who just
arrived and read your responses, "please tell your screen friends thank you
from me and how much I appreciate their advice."

We're off shortly.

ted

Replies: Reply from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] Canon G9 or Leica M8?)