Subject: [Leica] Canon G9 or Leica M8?
From: grduprey at mchsi.com (grduprey@mchsi.com)
Date: Sat Nov 10 06:24:35 2007

Ted,

While you do shoot mostly with Leica, you are certainly not against using
any camera out there as long as it delivers.  I assume your grandson has a
camera or cameras already and wants something small, light and easy to carry
with him during the trip.  and is considering the two mentioned cameras.
There is a huge difference in price between the choices.  The No Brainer
answer, and my wife's choice, is get the Canon G9.
Since he seems to be willing to buy either camera, price is not a factor
here.  You will tell him to buy the camera that meets his needs the best,
which would probably be the M8 due to its versatility.  However it is also
bulkier with several lenses.  And a huge expense for a 6 week tour, although
it would take him through many years of use afterwords.

My guess is you reccomended the G9, due to its compact size and that it can
be stuffed into a jacket or pants pocket more easily.  On the other hand,
G'Pa could tell his G'Son  "Why don't you just take one of my three M8's
with the WA T-E lens".  ;-)

My own choice is the M8, but then I already own one.

Gene