Subject: [Leica] Never affordable, but often worth it
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Tue Nov 6 11:47:15 2007

Doug,

You can say that again! :-) I recently tossed out an old photo magazine.
I happened to glance in the back pages and see new R7s at $2,700. The
R6.2 wasn't far behind that. Those were street prices, not list.

Though it seems astronomical $2,700 in 1992 roughly equates to $4,000 in
today's dollars which coincidentally isn't that far from the price point
of today's high end DSLR bodies. SLR and DSLR (or might we soon say
FxSLR) bodies are completely different beasts and not really comparable,
obviously, but the pricing similarity is interesting. And when it comes
down to it they serve the same purpose, albeit the latter sans film.

But second hand has it's merits. I bought a used R7 for $1,100. I sold
it a few years later for $1,000. I think the R7 is still second on the
list of my all time favorite cameras, not that far behind the M6.

DaveR