Subject: [Leica] New Hoppy travelogue part four, Sitges continued
From: kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour)
Date: Mon Nov 5 15:06:27 2007

On Nov 5, 2007, at 3:17 PM, G Hopkinson wrote:

> Hi Steve. Thanks for taking a look. The 50 asph is certainly sharp,
> contrasty and well corrected.
> The on screen versions of the pictures of course, only represent a
> low resolution version of the photographs. Keep in mind too that
> the slides or negs have been scanned (which inevitably softens),
> greatly reduced in size (about 25 times) and finally slightly
> sharpened. So I guess the on screen pics won't tell you anything
> reliable about resolution. You do see the contrast and accuracy.
> The original transparencies and even prints from them are an
> absolute joy. Especially in the case of the bw, scanning is not kind
> or
> at least my scanning! Also, I was shooting Neopan 400, which is not
> ideal for that bright outdoor sun in some that you have looked
> at. It can look gritty in the contrasty light, too.  Some images
> have been smoothed and some not. I'll send you a different pic off
> list and you can get a better look.

fwiw I have the lux 50 ASPH... so what I say relates directly to my
own images, as well as those of others...

and your response is pretty typical of the response from people who
unreservedly love this lens...

I have heard the same before,  here and elsewhere...

I personally have mixed feelings about it, at times I love the look,
other times not at all....

it bothers me that often we have to make excuses for it...

it's got the words,  but to me often seems to lack the music...

Steve