Subject: [Leica] 16-16-15 lens comparison
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun Nov 4 18:09:51 2007

> Why?  Unless you are photographing really close, the DOF on theses lenses
> is
> basically from you to infinity.  ( I could look up the DOF tables, but to
> be
> honest, there ain't much NOT in focus with a 15 or 12mm lens.
>
> You don't need a coupled RF,  you need to set the lens for a hyperfocal
> point and let DOF rule.
>
> Frank Filippone
> red735i@earthlink.net
>
> A  coupled RF would help.

Asking for a lens like this to be coupled to me sounds like the person never
went out and shot with the lens. As never when shooting with an ultrawide
that that do you miss that.
And your pictures certainly reflect that. They come out just dandy.
You almost like the lens BECAUSE of its lack of coupling more so than the
opposite.

I'd like to see the shots which were so boring from the uncoupled lens that
they then cried out for an "upgrade".

"gee I missed my focus maybe if I had that new thing just out I'd get a
sharper looking picture".

"gee this this is a little fuzzy if I was shooting at f2.8 instead of f4
than the shutter speed I'd get might have fixed that! I think I need to
TRADE IN this 500 dollar lens for a 3000 dollar lens and check my new images
against this!:

I don't see any of this happening.

Or a "look at this shot with the barrel distortion do you think if I had a
lens which cost 3000 USD instead of 500 it would not have that?

Show me that!

Mark William Rabiner
markrabiner.com