Subject: [Leica] 16-16-15 lens comparison
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun Nov 4 17:59:48 2007

> Mark,
> that piece of glass looks for all the world like a plastic Super Elmar ;-)
> like the option of "auto" RAW corrections, and we already have that in the
> M8
> with the wonderful lens labels, which tell the camera which lens in in
> place
> and how to "manipulate" the image appropriately. Soon all lenes will give
> the
> exact same characteristics and we will never have to choose or worry. Phew
> relief at last.
>
> Cheers

There's that.
But I don't think its going to even out the results you get with a 350
dollar f4 21mm lens and a 3,500 dollar f2.8 Elmarit.
I think it's apples and oranges.

Both take pictures.
If you take a picture of Marvin you can go "look that's Marvin!"

It used to be we got into Leica very much because of its take no prisoners
glass. Now we can have the option of being as mediocre as our Nikon Canon
friends.

I kind of like the days when if I wanted a new Leica focal length I started
saving money and by the end of a year period it got it and I knew I had
something which would make images which should not get compared by any non
idiot with stuff which cost a couple hundred bucks.

I think when you spend thousands on a lens instead of hundreds you don't
need to be told its worth it.

And an ultrawide is where this level of the art and craft of lens design
shows itself.

On the other hand a cute little compact f4 lens is there for a different
reason than a two ton f2.8 monster.
The little lens can be darned sharp.
But use if for hiking. Its not going to be the egg in your beer.

Mark William Rabiner
markrabiner.com