Subject: [Leica] Seeking advice on the merits of the M7 and MP
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Thu Nov 1 15:52:57 2007

Chris, no doubt you'll get a good range of responses to assist you.
I suggest that the M7 is the superior picture taking tool.
Aperture priority exposure in the M7 is very quick and perfect for many
situations. You still have all of the same manual control
when you want it. I commonly use the exposure lock (holding the shutter
release) rather than manually set speed or any compensation.
Personal technique preference. Yet I handed my M7 to Luis from the list here
(MP user and superb street photog) and the first thing
he did was to set the shutter speed manually. Keep a spare set of batteries
of course.
Same finder performance in current versions.
If you are in the habit of diving into foxholes and dodging incoming, then
the purely mechanical MP might be considered more rugged.

The rest is aesthetics. Not that they don't matter, but they don't make
better pictures.
FWIW the MPs that I have handled were beautifully finished elegant cameras.
Those lovely M3 like details of advance lever, rewind
and Leica script on the top.

Have fun
Hoppy