Subject: [Leica] IMGS: Kurdish Men
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Thu Nov 1 00:51:29 2007

Tina,
As others have mentioned they have a very "out of time" feel to them.  They
could be out of Afghanistan today or shot at the turn of the century in the
Ottoman Empire.

It appears that you misfocused on many as they are not soft, just the point
of focus appears outside the plane of the gents faces, say on the jacket or
the rear group in the group of four.  You don't do that anymore but it is
instructive if there are any new photographers reading just how important it
is to nail focus with a fast lens close up.

Depending on how many images you have this could be a good book project
especially if you could return to the Kurdish areas to shoot an
intentionally modern approach to contrast then and now.  Certainly more
assault rifles visible today.