Subject: monopod/shoulder stock (was: RE: [Leica] Wooden tripods)
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Douglas Herr)
Date: Mon Oct 29 20:52:17 2007

Gene Duprey <grduprey@mchsi.com> wrote:

> Did you modify the shoulder stock?  I can't see how you marry the
> two together.

Gene, the shoulder stock is the first version of the 14188 which instead of
a handgrip has a simple vertical bar.  This bar has a threaded hole
originally intended for one end of Leica's "Strap for Heavy Equipment".
This is a standard  1/4"-thread tripod socket, where I've attached a QR
plate.  On top of the monopod is is the Bogen/Manfrotto 3232 tilt head
($cheap) with a QR clamp on top of the 3232.

I'd much rather use the more comfortable late-model 14188 with the monopod
but I have yet to find a QR plate that will stay in place at the base of the
hand grip w/o rotating at the wrong time.  SK Grimes estimated $175 each for
a custom QR plate for this shoulder stock, in a batch of four or five.  Or,
I could drill a hole in the hand grip to accomodate an anti-twist pin in the
QR plate.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com