Subject: [Leica] Developer for Neopan 1600/TMax 3200
From: freakscene at weirdness.com (Marty Deveney)
Date: Mon Oct 29 02:50:14 2007

The problem with apparent sharpness or acutance is that it rarely has much
to do with resolution.  TMX, for instance, has excellent resolution (from
Kodak's charts), but quite low acutance.

I use Acros when I want to record fine detail - I have measured that it is
finer grained than APX 25 was and it looks nicer to me than Delta 100, TMX
or any of the other comparable films.  It is a monosize cubic-grain
emulsion, which for me seems to offer the best advantages of modern
technologies, but do not have the processing touchiness of flat-grain or
epitaxial emulsions.  I can't get it to work in Xtol 1+3, so I use 1+1 or a
home-made equivalent with the same developing agents as Xtol 1+1, but with
the sulfite of 1+3.

Xtol is remarkable and works better than most ascorbate developers because
it works at high dilution and moderate (Kodak calls it 'mildly alkaline')
pH.  Other more normal developers that contain ascorbate at higher pH work
well, but not as well as Xtol.

>THE future of my silver developing my go in Metol Ascorbic acid developers.

There are some metol ascorbate developers described by Pat Gainer here:
http://www.apug.org/forums/forum223/39769-experiments-metol-ascorbic-acid.html

>And Pyro with Metol.

There is a pyro ascorbate developer here:
http://www.digitaltruth.com/techdata/article-stainingdev.php
you could replace the phenidone with metol (you need more metol than
phenidone) and go from there.  The TEA will definitely provide a high enough
pH to activate those developing agents.

Good luck,

Marty

Gallery:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/main.php?g2_itemId=7617

Most people can only judge of things by the experiences of ordinary life,
but phenomena outside the scope of this are really quite numerous.
        Shen Kuo - 'Dream Pool Essays'

--
Want an e-mail address like mine?