Subject: [Leica] IMG: Indoor street photography - B&W Architecture
From: philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent)
Date: Sat Oct 27 12:56:30 2007

Beautiful series, Douglas.

Now, about the first one, and the car storage towers,
Very strange effects on both: they are perfectly straight (I checked
this at large magnification, though it just being via your low res
jpegs) but they don't seem so optically.
This causes imbalance.
In the first one's case, this is due to an optical effect (dome vs
'straight' chimney), and in the second one it's due to a light effect
(dark cilinders vs light on the forward one from the right).
In both cases, it has a compositional effect: whether you choose to
keep this imbalance or not, is entirely up to you. You determine the
effect.
And wether it 'd be imblanced or not, it's just two different but
equally acceptable ways of 'seeing' and 'presenting' this image.

So, astonishing shots, that I'd love to see on a big and detailed print.

Personally, I think that if you would PS the first one so that the
chimney would 'lean' a bit more towards the dome, and 'lean' the
towers a bit more to the right part of the image, you would take away
this imbalance, and attain a higher level of classical aesthetics.
But that is just a matter of taste, and does not change my
appreciation of the shots at all.

Beautiful tonalities, too BTW.

Thanks for showing,
Philippe

Op 27-okt-07, om 18:06 heeft Douglas Sharp het volgende geschreven: