Subject: [Leica] Alkan
From: Afterswift at aol.com (Afterswift@aol.com)
Date: Wed Oct 10 10:32:59 2007

In a message dated 10/10/2007 6:40:38 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
lug-request@leica-users.org writes:

Any  serious student of piano music knows that Alkan was hardly obscure!

And  what does his religion have to do with any appreciation of his  works?

Jerry

Jerry,

I seldom hear Alkan performed these days in concerts. I know  about him from
programs on WQXR sporadically over the years. As for his  religion, I
remarked
about it because I was surprised that Alkan would be so  worldly when
orthodox Judaism in those days was insular. That's not true  anymore.
Amazing that he
could function in both societies so  seamlessly.

Bob

Bob

Replies: Reply from kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] Alkan)