Subject: [Leica] Re: LUG Digest, Vol 35, Issue 504
From: Afterswift at aol.com (Afterswift@aol.com)
Date: Wed Sep 26 02:59:33 2007

In a message dated 9/25/2007 11:57:08 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
lug-request@leica-users.org writes:

Anyone  have pointers about using a CL? I figure sticking to shorter
lenses  and stopping down should be a first step.

Hi Charlie,

The CL is an acquired taste. But once you let it teach you  about itself,
it's a pleasure to use. First, you'll need to accept the strap  lugs on one
side
of the body and the leather case that rides on the strap. The  CL belongs to
the M5 generation and has a lot in common with it.

Next, you'll find most CL's have very close tolerances, so  don't think the
shutter or meter is defective if it locks during hot  weather. When the
temperature cools down the CL will work like the fine watch  type mechanism
it is.

Next, avoid using lenses other than the 40mm f2, 50mm  f2.8 Elmar, and 90mm
f4 made for the CL. Learn to focus the CL by judgment  rather than bother
with
the rangefinder. The scales are very clear on the black  lenses designed for
the CL. The CL has a 50mm frame in its viewfinder. At least  mine has.

The CL on its two special lenses use rubber lenshoods. Don't  think the
lenshood is defective if you see a split in the rubber. That lenshood  will
last
indefinitely even with the cracked rubber.

Don't use any lens that protrudes too far beyond the mount  because it might
damage the meter light sensor that reads the center of the  image just in
front of the shutter curtain. This sensor is mounted on an arm  that moves
out of
the way when you make an exposure. Avoid collapseable Leica  lenses, like
the
50mm and 90mm Elmars.

The CL viewfinder is crystal clear, much brighter than that in  most of the
M's. It's a joy to use.

The CL has a door that drops down over the film that keeps the  film
absolutely flat when you slide the back home and lock it.

I believe the CL shutter travels vertically. Don't let that  bother you.
Like
the M, the CL is a pro camera. I pack it with my D70  and each serves as a
backup for the other.

I found it a good idea not to use the CL with bulky close-up  gear. It's
essentially a field camera, not a system camera.

Enjoy a very fine but demanding and rewarding instrument  in the CL and its
two great lenses. I believe Minolta made the CL and its lenses  for Leitz,
but
you'd never be able to tell the difference. Where is Minolta  these days?
They
were the first to develop AF and made some excellent reflexes  and lenses. I
still use mine. Very solid engineering and manufacture values.

Bob