Subject: [Leica] R lens comparison
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue Sep 25 20:37:23 2007

> My 24 mm says "Made In Germany",  On the front it says Leitz Wetzlar.
> Great
> lens in my book.
>
> Gene

Well I think its very interesting this taking over of Leica of Minolta
designs and juicing them up with higher end German glass. If that's the
case.

I'm sure its more than the price Leica figures its customers are going to
pay for glass in its lenses. But in some cases that might be the main issue.

A consumer priced lens made by Canon or nikon can't be costing 3 grand usd.
And the price of the glass in the lens is what would be the main thing of
course which would make it need to be priced that high.

I read last month an interesting thing about Cosina has the ring of truth to
it but I don't know.
That their approach to lens design, part of it, is that they first go out
full bore and design a Leica lens worthy of being made in Solms.
But then the cut down the specs of the very expensive glass they would have
used. To just above average glass perhaps.
And gauge the results. So the lens can be sold at the price we see it sold
at. Apparently and surprzingly the specks don't drop all that amazingly far.
Then you've got a Cosina lens.
Anybody else see this?

It was on the internet so it must be true.

Mark William Rabiner
rabinergroup.com

Replies: Reply from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) ([Leica] R lens comparison)
Reply from hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson) ([Leica] R lens comparison)