Subject: [Leica] IMG: Wide Angle Tri-Elmar and Leica UV/IR Filter
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Wed Sep 19 16:35:35 2007

>http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/LeonardT/M8+Filter/16mm_WATE.jpg.html
>
>or
>
>http://tinyurl.com/296onu
>
>This is a follow up image to a question George Lottermoser had
>comparing the Leica and the B+W UV/IR filter.
>
>This image is nothing special except it was taken in my backyard
>with a very clear, blue sky. I just received the 49mm leica filter
>from B&H to put in my Milich adapter for the WA Tri-Elmar. The
>adapter allows use of the original, very small lens hood that comes
>with the WATE. I had been using the poor 67mm filter holder that
>Leica sells for this lens.
>
>The lens, M8 with lens detection plus IR set on was set to 16mm. The
>photo was taken with the lens set wide open at f4. My eyes tell me
>there is absolutely no cyan creep. The Leica firmware matches the
>filter just fine.
>
>I have run the same test in the past using the B+W filter which
>shows cyan creep due to the firmware under correction of the
>stronger filter and with the Tiffen filter that shows a beige creep
>due to the firmware over correction due to the weaker Tiffen filter.
>
>I hope this helps to answer some of the questions that have been
>asked about the different UV/IR filters.
>
>Len

I've also tested the WATE with two different filters; the Heliopan
and the Leica.

Inadvertently I was sent a Heliopan filter, so I wanted to know
whether it was worthwhile to send the filter back and get the Leica
filter I had ordered for the lens or to keep the (much cheaper)
Heliopan.

I had done the test on lenses of 28mm and up and had found no
difference between Leica, B+W and Heliopan in the final result, both
visually and by measurement.

With the WATE set at 16 and UV/IR and lens detection on, there was a
difference. The cyan cast was immediately apparent, and when the
center read 50% across all three colours, the corners read 3% down
for red in the corners compared with green (about 39 to 42%, in this
particular case). Visually a difference in 1% is readily apparent, so
3% is fairly strong.

So, it's not good enough and I'm going to get the Leica filter.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design

Replies: Reply from len-1 at comcast.net (Leonard Taupier) ([Leica] IMG: Wide Angle Tri-Elmar and Leica UV/IR Filter)