Subject: [Leica] Leica Televid Spotting Scope Developments
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Fri Sep 7 15:29:13 2007

Leica has made some fairly significant changes to
their range of Televid Spotting Scopes.

First, the original Televid 77 and APO-Televid 77
have been axed and are replaced by Televid 82 and
APO-Televid 82 models.  This seems to be
primarily a matter of opening up the front
element a tad, as the new scopes preserve the
basic 440mm and 82mm filter size.  The new scope
is substantially lighter than the 77:  for the
APO models, the difference is 1.695kg versus
1.35kg. That reduction in weight might mean a use
of replacement light-weight components and a
preservation or increase in quality or it might
mean a reduction in quality.  I do not know, but
it is really hard to beat the quality of the APO-Televid 77.

The Televid 62 and APO-Televid 62 remain in production or, at least, for
sale.

The Televid line at its peak had a great line of
solid oculars:  for the 77, a 20X Weitwinkel, 32X
WW, a 40X WW, and a 20X to 60X Vario-Okular.  The
32X has been renumbered though it seems to be the
same as the old 32X WW.  The 20X and 40X are,
sadly, gone.  There is a new WW version of the
20X to 60X Vario and a completely new 25X to 50X Vario.

Leica seems to be streamlining the breed while
focusing it more directly against the Zeiss
Diascope line.  At the same time, Leica is
ramping up the use of the Televid for
"digiscoping".  It is an interesting sign of the
financial strength of Leica that they would
invest in revising and updating a successful line
in what is, world-wide, a fringe market.  (Leic
and Zeiss have a much deeper penetration among
birders and hunters in Europe and Asia than is the case in the US, of
course.)

I have owned an APO-Televid 77 since 1995 and
have used it extensively.  I feel no huge desire
to upgrade though I will probably invest in the
two new Vario eyepieces even though I am enough
of an optical snob to prefer prime-focus oculars.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

Replies: Reply from hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson) ([Leica] Leica Televid Spotting Scope Developments)