Subject: do it yourself back-focus adjustment..." WAS RE: [Leica] Migrating to M8: What's Really Necessary?
From: vick.ko at sympatico.ca (Vick Ko)
Date: Fri Aug 31 17:22:00 2007

Bob,

I am intrigued with this - "...do it yourself back-focus adjustment..."

Can you describe it?

I assume that this is a mechanical thing, as a given Noctilux/Summilux is
supposed to be interchangeable with all M's, including the M8.  This would
mean that either:

1.  the lens flange-focal distance needs to be adjusted, and I can't see
doing that yourself.  I would guess it means taking the lens head off the
helical and adjusting its spacing shim.

2.  the lens flange-focal distance is correct, but the body flange to sensor
distance needs to be adjusted.  I suppose one could do this themselves, but
I am guessing this would involve re-shimming the lens flange from the body,
which would then force you to re-adjust the rangefinder arm.  Not impossible
at home, but the body is then matched to the one particular lens.  Then
would you hope that the adjusted body is good for all other lenses, or does
the DOF take care of that?

regards
Vick