Subject: [Leica] Re: Negative price elasticity
From: leica at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig)
Date: Fri Aug 31 12:39:33 2007

Larry

I agree in your economical explanation how a price is composed. I use the
"get what you pay for" never in general, but in this particular case it
seemed apposite to me.

Most luxury products including Leica are wildly overpaid because of fools
like us who are willed to pay so much more for a few % more perfomance (if
there is) and a famous colored dot. I know that. But I'm not believing cheap
is automatically bad, otherwise I wouldn't own and appreciate several CV
lenses, finders, adapters, lightmeter.

These dslr kit zooms are dirt cheap because they're are designed on a purely
low price marketing strategy. The dslr entry level is a hard-fought
marketplace and these kits are the manufacturer's weapons.

I would be the first to buy such a lens, if it has f2.8, less distortion in
the wider half, acceptably better performance wide open, less chromatic
aberrations, less plastic feel and handle. Alas, I'm wanting too much. But
they're very, very affordable so I shouldn't beef about. Finally, "you get
more than you pay for" with such prices, and my statement was indeed
misunderstandable.

Didier