Subject: [Leica] Re: M8 problems
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Thu Aug 30 22:12:41 2007

Luis:  I understand how you feel about the 1.3x crop factor.  Before I got
the M8, I wondered if it would bother me.  But it doesn't matter as much as
I thought it would.  A 35mm becomes almost a 50mm, a 28 becomes a 35, a 75
becomes a 90, and a 90 becomes a nice long 120.  My lenses have "grown" one
size larger, but this is much less important than the fact that I can now
shoot my M lenses with a digital M camera.

Since I prefer 50mm, I am fine.  My 35/1.4 Summilux ASPH now acts like a
50/1.4.  I have acquired a VC 28mm lens, so now I have a 35mm equivalent
again.  If my favorite lens was 35mm, I might not be so happy, because
there is no 28/1.4.

The only really weird change is that a 50mm becomes a 66mm, which is a
length most of us don't really "know."   I have several 50mm lenses, so I
will have to get to know them all over again.  A 50 is distinctly telephoto
on the M8.  It's not quite a 75, but it's more like a 75 than a 50.

I know that many of us have a lifetime of knowing certain focal
lengths.  Now they've changed.  Our fingers "feel" 35mm but the viewfinder
says "this is a 50."  The good news is that it gets easy after a few hours
shooting.

I'm hoping someone will make an digital-only 28/1.4.  By not supporting the
larger full-frame image circle, it might be of more reasonable size and cost.

--Peter

Replies: Reply from luisripoll at telefonica.net (Luis Ripoll) ([Leica] Re: M8 problems)