Subject: [Leica] Re: B-70 axing
From: ISILVERMN at aol.com (ISILVERMN@aol.com)
Date: Tue Aug 14 20:48:50 2007

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 10:52:48 -0400, Lawrence Zeitlin
<_lrzeitlin@optonline.net_ (mailto:lrzeitlin@optonline.net) >  wrote:

"For a new and beyond the state of the art  airplane...        ...the Air
Force  museum at Wright- Patterson field in Dayton."

Larry,

Thank you for one of the most clear, concise tellings of the XB-70 saga
that
I've come across.  I've made a point of saving a copy for my  records.

I entered the aerospace industry too late to get involved with the B-70
program, although early in my career I was with the GE Aircraft Engine Group
and
did see one of its YJ-93 engines being preserved for permanent display.  I
had no trouble understanding the cancellation of the bomber program, but why
the
 program wasn't continued as a high speed research program is a puzzle.

Aside from research in high-speed aerodynamics, the XB-70 would have been a
wonderful materials test platform. Largely constructed of titanium
honeycomb,
the lessons learned in titanium fabrication and especially welding would
have
 been quite valuable.  Not to mention testing high temperature ceramics 10
years before the space shuttle took off.

I think it all comes back to the mid-air collision with an F-104 that
destroyed aircraft #2.  XB-70 #1, the aircraft preserved at Wright-Patt,
was
limited to Mach 2.5.  #2 upped that to over Mach 3.  Aircraft #3,  which was
still
under construction at the time, would have been the first with  an unlimited
flight regime.

But why should the loss of one aircraft cancel a program?

The pilot of the F-104 was Joe Walker, NASA's Chief Test Pilot, lead pilot
of the X-15 program, and generally regarded as the best of the best at the
Air
Force Flight Test Center.  In an occupation that is fundamentally
dangerous,
he was the one who wasn't supposed to be killed (much like Jimmy  Clark and
Ayrton Senna in F1 racing). I wonder if there was a prevailing mood at
Edwards
that if Walker could get caught in the XB-70's vortices, anyone could,  and
the program was allowed to die.

Just a thought.

Best regards,

Ira Silverman