Subject: [Leica] Armed *White* America?
From: ken at iisaka.org (Ken Iisaka)
Date: Thu Aug 9 19:25:39 2007

Well, Richard,

As someone of Asian lineage, married to a "white" woman, I could nothelp but
notice that in your original mail, you stated that you wouldnot be buying
the book, followed by the comment: "Armed WhiteAmerica?" Huh?

I don't understand why you now claim that you were not playing a racecard.
Your latter comment was the first in the entire thread thatraised the issue
of race. And, by stating that you would not buy thebook, it is not too much
of a stretch to link the two.

My copy arrived today, and I was thrilled to leaf through the pages. Ido not
own guns, and I found that there is something very haunting andchilling
about the images and the stories that the gun owners tell. The book
certainly provoked some thoughts, not the least of which isthe races
represented in the book. I've recommended the book to anumber of my friends
already. Bravo, Kyle! The only thing worse thanbeing talked about is not
being talked about!!!!

Asian American actor? How about Keanu Reeves? Ok, he's not actually aUS
citizen, but a Canadian, and is partially of Chinese extraction. Who cares?
He's still a bad actor.

richard-lists wrote:OK, someone emailed me offlist. First of all, take a
deep breath and ask
why my questions struck a nerve.
The email said it sounds like I may be playing a race card. Very
interesting as my wife for 25 years so far is white :-) I am an American
of Chinese descended. I am not a Chinese that happens to live in America
:-)

As for why I make the observation in the first place? Why not? U.S.
population is ~10% Asian etc. By 2050, if the projection holds, Lations
will be the majority. Again, i did not ascribe any malicious intention on
Kyle's part. You guys read that entirely on your own. In fact, I would
have guessed that the reason is exactly as given - that he photographed
the ones that want to be photographed, but that would have been just a
guess.

Think about this, I made an observation and all these comments follow.
Reflect on it, what does it really say?

BTW, name one American actor of Asian descended. Give yourself a bonus
point if you can recall them doing a non-stereotype Asian role :-)

Replies: Reply from sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter) ([Leica] Armed *White* America?)