Subject: [Leica] Re: D-21 photos
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Tue Aug 7 07:02:29 2007

On Aug 6, 2007, at 11:14 PM, Ira wrote:

>> As requested, I've attached  two
>> additional pictures of the D-21, which indeed was designed by
>> Kelly  Johnson's
>> Skunk Works, and can be considered the "Son of SR-71."
>>
>> _http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Ira+Silverman/Aircraft/Lockheed
>> +D-21+_1_.jpg
>> .html_
>> (http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Ira+Silverman/Aircraft/Lockheed
>> +D-21+_1_.jpg.html)
>>

>> _http://gallery.leica-users.org/
>> v/Ira+Silverman/Aircraft/Lockheed+D-21+_2_.jpg.html_
>> (http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Ira+Silverman/Aircraft/Lockheed
>> +D-21+_2_.jpg.html)

A blast from the past. These are excellent photos of an artifact of a
bygone era in military aviation. For more photos and a full
description of the D-21, look up "D-21" in Google Images. It is a
favorite of aviation history freaks. Actually the D-21 was a CIA
project so the resurrected airframe should really adorn the
headquarters at Langley, VA.

After you get done Googling the D-21, look up the B-70 to see a
really futuristic large airplane. Built largely of stainless steel,
almost as long as a football field, and looking like something out of
a science fiction movie, it could cruise at Mach 3 for 5000 miles.
Aircraft aficionados call it the "most beautiful airplane ever made."
I have a bit of nostalgia connected with the B-70. I designed the CCM
system for it nearly 50 years ago. It was obsoleted, along with the
B-58, by ICBMs. The only remaining B-70 is in the Airforce Museum at
Wright-Dayton.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from jbm at jbm.org (Jeff Moore) ([Leica] Re: D-21 photos)
Reply from jhnichols at bellsouth.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] Re: D-21 photos)