Subject: [Leica] Re: M8 review - getting to love the Leica
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Thu Aug 2 15:57:52 2007

On Aug 2, 2007, at 4:45 PM, Doug wrote:

> We were all non-Leica users at one time.

That's not really the case. In the '50s and early 1960s Leica outsold
all other brands of high end 35 mm cameras by quite a margin. My
first good camera in college was a Leica IIIc with a 50 mm Summitar,
a 35 mm Elmar, and a 90 mm Wollensak. As far as precision cameras
went, Leica and Contax were the only game in town (and Leica was
cheaper). The first new Leica I owned was a first edition M3 with a
50 mm Elmar, bought in a duty free shop for the pricely sum of $154.
I still have the receipt. Of course the SLR had not been popularized.
Within 3 years after the Nikon and Canon SLRs were marketed, Leica
sales fell through the floor. Not all of us are street photographers
or shoot extreme wide angles in available llight. The SLR was simply
better for most photography that professionals do. You use a SLR for
your wonderful bird photography even though it is a Leica with a
digital back.

For contemporary photographers, the RF Leica is an acquired taste -
and most photographers have not acquired it.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter) ([Leica] Re: M8 review - getting to love the Leica)