Subject: [Leica] Re: M8 review
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Thu Aug 2 08:13:01 2007

On Aug 2, 2007, at 10:17 AM, Mark wrote:

> I normally think highly of the DP Preview and look to them often.
> But now
> I'm looking at them ever so slightly askance..
> To have a milestone camera such as the M8 reviewed by a guy who was so
> outside the loop like that was way beneath them. They should have
> dug up a
> reviewer who knew what was going on not some guy using a
> rangefinder for the
> first time and seemed un aware of Leica prices which have never
> been on the
> cheep side.

Not at all unusual. The M8 will be evaluated in comparison to other
high end cameras by camera shoppers who have probably never used a
rangefinder camera either. If Leica hopes to remain viable, it will
have to attract non-Leica users to the fold. Current Leica users
constitute a small and aging part of the photographic population. I
don't know the average age of Luggers, but judging from the images
submitted, many of us have grandchildren. I see very few college
students using Leicas.

The fact that DP Preview finds that the M8 compares favorably in
image quality with the best Canons and Nikons can only be seen as a
plus factor. For a reviewer obviously biased in favor of DSLRs, it
can only be seen as quite a concession.

But as a group, Luggers are far too defensive. I wonder if Canon and
Nikon owners obsess over camera reviews as much as Leica owners. Hey,
it's just a review. No one will buy or reject a Leica on the basis of
DPs opinion. If anyone payed any attention to reviews "Are You
Smarter Than a 5th Grader" wouldn't be the top show on TV.

Larry Z