Subject: [Leica] xtol question -- getting personal
From: ericm at pobox.com (Eric)
Date: Wed Jul 25 15:25:45 2007

Peter:

>It occurs to me to ask -- since there are some heavy
>xtol users here, with an extensive body of collective
>experience -- have any of you personally experienced
>the heartbreak of xtol failure?

I used to be very wary answering this question.  Knock on wood and all that
stuff.  I haven't exposed a frame of film in almost a year and half, so I'm
no longer afraid...

I used xtol exclusively for about 5 years or so, shooting at least 100 rolls
a year.  A bit more some years.  Usually ran film 4 rolls in a liter.  So
that's 25 batches x 5 years = 125 times in a row without a single xtol
failure.    Stored the xtol in dark amber, 250ml bottles, filled to the top.
Single use bottles.  I'd use 1 or 2 per liter...for either 1:3 or 1:1
dilution.

I threw away one 5L kit of xtol 'cos it was all clumpy when I went to mix it
up.  Not like the rest.  Maybe that would have led to a failure.  Dunno.
Better safe than sorry.

Xtol is the best thing since sliced bread for B&W development.  Never could
get the bread to give me consistent results.  Maybe I should have tried rye.
:)

--
Eric
http://canid.com/