Subject: [Leica] Diafine anyone? Now Nikon scanner
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Tue Jul 24 16:54:05 2007

Pleased to read some opinions on this from you guys.
My issues may also be related to my developing routine and /or scanning
process. Also my expectations vs scanning slides.
I've used the Nikon software  and Vuescan with my Coolscan V,
Scanned as greyscale,
Scanned as RGB,
Scanned as colour positive and inverted.
I consider that the Nikons are more vulnerable to grittiness from bw scans
due to the LED light-sources being very point form vs a
larger source in a flatbed, for example.
Len, I've used Delta 100 and now Acros (in dilute XTOL)which are very fine
grained. I do scan at 4000dpi. I think that the software
sometimes interprets the grain clumps wrongly and applies too much
anti-aliasing. I do, of course, expect to see the grain effect
that is characteristic of the film type. Otherwise I might as well shoot
digital!
Yes digital ICE won't work with traditional bw films.
I do produce acceptable scans for adjustment in PS. I would like them to be
better.

Vuescan in my experience is very much faster to use, set up right. I have
never found settings with it for bw that yield anywhere
near the tonal range from my negs that the Nikon software does.
I am using Vuescan settings from Daniel Ridings. I don't know anyone that
presents smoother toned bw to the LUG.
Philippe Orlent has suggested Neat Image noise reduction to reduce the
gritty effect. It works very well.

I still love to shoot and process that bw film. When I want very smooth bw,
I convert from slide film. Obviously there are big
differences in exposure tolerances, dynamic range. Nevertheless can't be
beat for smooth toned bw from film, imho.

Cheers
Hoppy