Subject: [Leica] IMG: Hoppy on Kangaroo Island part four
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Mon Jul 16 18:49:49 2007

For those still looking at my travelogue, here is the fourth installment.

Eight new photographs start from here

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/gh/a/c_001/KI+24.jpg.html>

<http://tinyurl.com/2x7pcc>

This is the Cape Borda Lighthouse, which is perched atop cliffs, some 150
metres above the ocean. It is of unusual construction
being short and square. The current caretaker, Mick, is a friendly and
entertaining character. You can actually stay in the old
lighthouse keeper's cottages. Mick tells me that regularly guests are
disconcerted by the solitude at night and disquieted by the
thought of the ghosts said to be present. It has a fascinating history of
harsh and isolated existences for the original families.
The light was formerly suspended in a ton of mercury to ease its rotation.
Not very good for the health at all.

This is a remote location on the North western corner of KI. It was built in
the 1850's to guide sailing ships traveling in the
roaring forties. It is actually slightly south of the southern tip of Africa
and the next landfall due west from Cape Borda is
around Montevideo or Buenos Aires in South America. There is a lot of ocean
in between.

Send me those comments and critiques; there will be a test later.

Cheers

Hoppy

Replies: Reply from hewthompson at mac.com (Hugh Thompson) ([Leica] IMG: Hoppy on Kangaroo Island part four)
Reply from luisripoll at telefonica.net (Luis Ripoll) ([Leica] IMG: Hoppy on Kangaroo Island part four)