Subject: [Leica] Summicrons 90 - opinions?
From: hellman at comcast.net (Jesse Hellman)
Date: Sun Jul 15 12:33:16 2007

Those were wonderful pictures, Hoppy.

I had a 90 Tele-Elmarit, then the Summicron, then the  90 2.8
Elmarit, and then added an AA 'Cron. I was a bit of a lens hound.
They are all excellent lenses. Perhaps I'm in the minority but I see
little differences except that yes the AA is sharpest at F/2 and the
Elmarit is also very sharp but doesn't have F/2. To some extent
whatever lens I have, it rarely if ever is the factor in whether a
picture I made is good or not. I'm not saying there is no difference,
only that if I had never traded around beyond the 90 Tele-Elmarit it
would have made no difference at all in the quality of my photographs.

So if price is an issue, and you need F/2, get the 'Cron. If you opt
for greater sharpness, get the Elmarit. And if price is not the issue
get the AA. There is little real weight difference. The 90 Tele-
Elmarit was light and produced wonderful (if a tad soft) pictures,
the only downside I've heard is that the cemented elements can get
loose. If they are OK it is a wonderful lens and great for travel as
it is so light and small.

Jesse