Subject: [Leica] Canon F 1.2/50mm Screw - Experiences, Opinions?
From: leica at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig)
Date: Sun Jul 15 03:34:57 2007

Luis

Having the Summilux, I would probably pass on the Canon (and probably on the
expensive Nocti, too). 400 EUR for the 1.2/50 is much, but this lens is one
of those with actually increasing prices. I guess the M8, the R-D1 and the
rangefinder revival in general are responsible for that (RFF has 13'000
members for instance).

I paid $178.- for that lens (3 years ago), including Canon VT de Luxe
camera, rare vented hood -sells for $300 alone, today-, 2 special Canon 55mm
filters -normal filters don't work as the front element is very round)-, 3
leather cases for camera, lens and hood, pistolgrip, manuals, boxes- eg. the
whole package. If your dealer has hood and cases included, the price is ok.

The lens is better than it's reputation. It is soft in corners wide open,
but seen from the creative point of view, this is not a matter for me.
Because shooting wide open with the subject in front and the bokeh in the
background means a lot of softness all around the picture anyway, and it is
not very likely that exactly the corners are in the focus (except if the
focus is at infinity). [Btw. "Being sharper in the corners wide open" is
often the only argument for Leica lenses being superior to others. But in
real world it's rather a non-argument, except you shoot landscapes at
infinity wide open - but who does that?...]

Stopped down, the Canon delivers pictures that are at least sharp enough for
me. To be mentioned should also be the nice, old-fashioned color rendering
of that lens which is absolutely comparable to old Summicrons. Very warm
colors.

The only problem I had with that lens was when using with the TomA rapidgrip
on a M body - then the infinity lock was rather difficult to handle.

at f1.2
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Didier/various/bar_canon_wide_open.jpg.html>

at f2, distance 7 meters
<http://mogool.com/nica/915.jpg>

at f2.0 (or 2.8 don't remember), closest distance:
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Didier/various/Canon_50_at_f2_0.jpg.html>

Didier

Replies: Reply from luisripoll at telefonica.net (Luis Ripoll) ([Leica] Canon F 1.2/50mm Screw - Experiences, Opinions?)