Subject: [Leica] OT: New FB like inkjet paper
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed Jun 20 21:23:59 2007

On 6/19/07 2:45 AM, "Christopher Williams" <leicachris@worldnet.att.net>
typed:

> Silver Rag now has competition. I think the Photo Rag Pearl is even better
> than Silver Rag.
>
> http://www.hahnemuehle.com/index.php?mid=936&lng=us&pkat=1275
>
> Chris

But bad terminology from a darkroom printers viewpoint.

"Pearl" is the name Ilford gave it's RC paper which very unsuccessfully
emulated the semigloss tried down look of fiber glossy paper with a cheesy
texture embossed into it to turn the plasticy gloss into semi gloss.

It was miles less cheesy than the Kodak crude textured emboss but looked
like dulled down plastic anyway and was a reason to not use RC paper as both
the gloss and the pearl surfaces were terrible.

So now in the Ilford line at least it appeared we had inkjet paper emulating
poorly RC paper which emulated Poorly darkroom fiber paper.

A bad emulation of a bad emulation.

And an unnecessary bad emulation of an unnecessary bad emulation.

Because there is never a reason to emulate anything.
Each process needs to be itself autonomously.
And be free.
And not hurt anybody.

RCs should look like RCs. Glossy plastic. Or super glossy Ciba plastic.
Resin whatever.

And inkjets should look like inkjet prints. Pigment or dyes sprayed on plain
real paper.

There never was a darkroom paper which was 100 percent rag like the rag
board you'd not dream of not using with it to mount a show.

There are dozens of choices of 100% rag inkjet paper.

Unless you get this emulation baloney.

Mark William Rabiner
Harlem, NY

rabinergroup.com