Subject: [Leica] OT, sort of: Noritsu Minilab
From: leica at rcmckee.com (R. Clayton McKee)
Date: Mon Jun 18 15:27:53 2007

Quoth the Kenneth Frazier :

> Listers,
>
> I have an opportunity to buy a Noritsu minilab, in full working
> order, and set it up in the basement of my new church.
>
> The equipment is in excellent condition, but the photo shop is
> closing.  I've had a dozen rolls of 120 run through it and the
> results are top notch.

If this ain't a joke, then you're officially out of your mind, padre.

That machine, new, probably cost the buyer somewhere between 20 and
50 grand.  If they're willing to let you have it more or less for the
cost of disconnecting it and hauling it away, that should tell you
something.

I like Noritsu machines, I ran one for several years, and the
operating costs are going to eat you alive several times over.
You'll be needing to run 30-50 rolls a day, minimum, every day, to
keep the chemistry stable so you have predictable results, and then
you'll have water and electric bills out the wazoo, plus the EPA
regulation chemistry and effluent disposal, plus the cost of the
chemistry and the paper and the maintenance time and service and
parts, and then there's learning to make it work right and stay in
calibration, and....

Are you getting the picture here?

There's a reason the freestanding one hour photo place is kaput, and
the maintenance and operating costs are a HUGE part of that reason.

No Flippin' Way.
--

R. Clayton McKee                           http://www.rcmckee.com
Photojournalist                               rcmckee@rcmckee.com