Subject: [Leica] Compact Camera Conundrum
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Wed Jun 6 07:49:49 2007

Mark,

Excellent advice! I think the Fuji will be a temporary stopgap. It looks
like there's lots of interesting digital stuff in the pipeline. But that
pipeline is progressing slowly. I find it interesting that a camera is
announced a year in advance of when it's available (Sigma DP-1). It's
"be patient and don't settle for less" marketing. It reminds me of
traveling when I was a kid. "Dad, when are we going to get
there?"......"In 10 minutes or so"....an hour passes....."are we there
yet"...."no, I said we'll be there in ten minutes."  Ten minutes from
when? Are those nice looking pictures of tomorrow's cameras on the web
just be clay models digitally enhanced to look extra shiny and new? The
digital IIIf will be available in 10 minutes...right now if you want
small you'll just have to settle for a full frame Instamatic (and just
ignore that it's full frame 126)

Apparently I'm not the first to imagine a D40x and 45P as a frugal
alternative to an M8 and 50 Elmar. :-)  If only I could get a 15 Heliar
in Nikon G mount.

DaveR