Subject: [Leica] B&W OR COLOUR?
From: jbm at jbm.org (Jeff Moore)
Date: Wed May 30 12:06:34 2007

2007-05-30-13:01:28 Ted Grant:
> Which version is the better? B&W or COLOUR?
> Or the stronger of the photographs?
>
>  http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/tmax/%232+WCG+col__MG_4332.jpg.html
>
>  http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/tmax/B_amp_W+WCG_MG_4332.jpg.html

I think I have a slight preference for the colo[u]r version, partly
because having the tapestry in color (can't help it, gotta use the US
spelling) behind the good doctor pleases my eye but also because the
contrast of the B&W version seems to be cranked up to the point where
some detail is blown out in the left side of the subject's face
(viewer's right), and some of the other facial details are so contrasty
that they verge on caricature.

On the other hand, the face seems every so slightly flat in the color
version;  is there some middle ground?

One advantage this color photo has over many others for a B&W lover is
that the subject's clothing is essentially monochromatic, and thus is no
more distracting from the essences in color then it would be in B&W.

I'm well aware of how some contract enhancement is usually necessary to
make a B&W conversion from color look "right" -- B.D. gave me a really
useful hint about using USM for local contrast enhancement to do the
trick -- but I'm thinking this one is just a little overcooked, and I
might go back to preferring the B&W version if the contrast were dialled
back a touch.  Even though the tapestry is lovely.

 -Jeff M

Replies: Reply from geebee at geebeephoto.com (geebee) ([Leica] B&W OR COLOUR?)