Subject: [Leica] IMG: pretending to be Doug Herr (but not even in thesameleague)
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Douglas Herr)
Date: Mon May 28 20:23:21 2007

Rob McClure <rmcclure2@woh.rr.com> wrote:

>Since you are handing out tips on how you get those great pictures,
>here's another question for you -- do you wear anything special that
>makes you less conspicuous to the birds, or is it just a matter of
>hanging around and letting them get used to you?

I think it's moslty a matter of hanging around long enough that they get
used to me.  It helps to wear the same or similar clothes each time so that
they recognize me.  The Coopers Hawks I've been working with for several
years seem to recognize me, allowing me much closer now than they id a few
years ago.

Having written this, I should also mention that I wear a camop coat and
forest or desert-colored clothing (depeding on the habitat).  The camo coat
is for its huge pockets and the neutral-colored clothing overall is so that
people don't notice me as much.  It's surprising how obvious a pair of Levis
is in the forest.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com