Subject: [Leica] IMG: pretending to be Doug Herr (but not even in the same league)
From: ericm at pobox.com (Eric)
Date: Mon May 28 16:14:43 2007

Doug, how close do you usually get to your bird subjects?

I shot these with the equivalent of a 672/5.6 lens since I was using a
"cropped" sensor to get more magnification.  And even then, I cropped down
another 2x.  So I've got the field of view of a 1400mm lens.  And I was only
10-15 away!

Mother(?) Killdeer
http://canid.com/current/070528_011.html

Well hidden eggs
http://canid.com/current/070528_012.html

Standing Guard
http://canid.com/current/070528_013.html

Yelling at the Intruding Photographer
http://canid.com/current/070528_014.html

Four Eggs
http://canid.com/current/070528_015.html

My wife went out to water some garlic plants, and that drove the
killdeer off its nest.  So I took the opportunity to take a few pics
from our front steps.  I didn't want to venture any closer than we
normally are when we're walking in and out of our house.  The first
two pics are from inside our house, looking through the front window.

The killdeer are around our yard every year at this time, but this is the
first we've noticed their building a nest.  They started doing the "broken
wing" dance a couple days ago, and that's about when one of them started
spending full time nesting in the rocks.  So with any luck, we should have
babies in another 3 weeks or so.

--
Eric
http://canid.com/