Subject: [Leica] Question Re Backing Up to External Hard Drives
From: rbaron at concentric.net (Robert D. Baron)
Date: Wed May 23 16:55:32 2007

My local Best Buy store is selling Western Digital 500 GB MyBook
External USB 2.0/eSata Hard Drives (Model WDG1SU5000N) for $140.  I
think that is cheap enough to buy a couple and use them as back ups for
my image files.

I'm not talking about using Retrospect back up software or doing
anything fancy, I'm talking about just copying my image files from my
computer's hard drive over to an external hard drive as a form of back up.

Is there a reason this is not a good idea?

Should I instead (or in addition?) be burning the image files to Gold
DVDs and storing them there?

Even with sales tax these Western Digital drives work out to about 30?
per GB which seems pretty cheap to me.

I know that USB 2.0 is not the fastest transfer mechanism on the block
but for what I have in mind I *think* it would be acceptable.

Thanks for any thoughts.

--Bob

Replies: Reply from allen.graves at charter.net (Allen Graves) ([Leica] Question Re Backing Up to External Hard Drives)
Reply from reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid) ([Leica] Question Re Backing Up to External Hard Drives)