Subject: [Leica] M8 repair prevention
From: etruscello at yahoo.com (Tom Pastorello)
Date: Wed May 16 06:01:34 2007

Hi Gene --
   When you first turn on your M8, hold it to your eye
and you'll notice a red exposure light at the bottom
of your viewfinder.  It'll be a flashing shutter
number if your shutter is on "A," or a steady red
arrow and/or circle if your shutter dial is not on
"A."  It'll turn itself off in 10 seconds, until you
put pressure on the shutter release.  I'd wait for
that light to turn itself off before operating the
camera.
   This is not the major issue, however, for good
prevention.  The most important thing is to make sure
your On/Off Switch is on Off when you put your camera
away.  It should not be even one mm from the off
position.  I think there is a battery short potential
in the switch.  If you ever turn the camera on in a
heavy-handed way and accidentally glide the switch all
the way over to the Timer position in one movement,
that will be enough to cause the camera to go dead
temporarily.  This can be fixed, however, by
re-setting the battery.
   You may very well have a trouble-free camera.  If
not, these small preventive actions should serve you
well.  Happy shooting.   Tom P.

 a better Globetrotter. Get better travel answers from someone who knows.
Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.