Subject: [Leica] Re: Lens comparison
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Sun May 13 08:16:53 2007

Larry,
Old lenses suffer from several issues.  Most important is that multi-coating
really does work in increasing contrast with the concomitant improvement in
fine detail resolution.  Second, fifty years of atmospheric pollution has
left a coating of undesirable organics on the internal components: just
remember how much smoke was in most homes, offices, and public places
through the seventies.  Last, fifty years of being vibrated in bags,
airplanes, cars, and motorcycles has moved things around a bit.

So, in my experience, an old lens that has been completely stripped down,
properly cleaned, then reassembled with great care will be very good indeed
with the exception of flare reduction.  I have had a Sonnar, Summicron,
Summarit, and a Summitar worked on and the results are very good indeed.  Of
course the current 50 Summilux ASPH is still the best by any category you
care to choose except size, weight.